13 January 2008

Who'd have thunk it?

So I am at Harvard for the week. Frightening thought, no? It pretty well scares the bejesus out of my dumbass.

I'm here on a business trip and will get to come back for another week in March, all in the name of journalism education with some young, diverse managers (really, is there possibly a more uninspiring word than "manager"?) from around the country. Should be a special week if I don't let the surroundings overwhelm me.

Funny thing: When I was wrapping up high school I applied here on a whim (there was no way in hell I would have been able to pay the tuition, much less cut it here). Funnier thing, though: I got in. I filed that acceptance letter away in a box somewhere when I went across town to start at the University of Oklahoma. Now, nearly 13 years later, I have to laugh a bit at it all.

The view from my room ahead of a blizzard that's expected to hit in about an hour. They're saying we could get up to a foot of snow tomorrow.


No, really. I am here. The letterhead proves it. I'm still scratching my head, though. As one of the speakers said tonight at dinner: Consider yourselves lucky - you're at Harvard and you didn't even have to take a test.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm expecting a magnificent snowglobe!!