03 August 2006

Earthquake

We had a little earthquake last night. Another of those moments when I'm reminded we aren't living in the Midwest anymore.

At 1:39 a.m., I was just about to go to bed after working the late shift at work. The Colbert Report replay was on and I was laughing about something. Then I thought, wait a minute, I'm not laughing hard enough for the cabinet door to be quivering. But then I noticed the bed seemed to be rattling ever so slightly, too. I looked around and listened to see whether a big truck might be rumbling down Columbia Street or something. There wasn't. And then it was over.

I didn't think anything of it and went on to bed.

Got up this morning and checked the Web like usual. An e-mail on my work account said something about a quake. Turns out it was centered about 15 miles north of our house. The USGS is calling it a 3.8, which is minor. No reports of damage or injuries.

No comments: